- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ pound mushrooms, cleaned and sliced with stems attached
- ½ pound pearl onions, peeled
- 2 chickens (2 1/2 pounds each), cut into serving pieces and skinned
- ¼ cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 16 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
728 calories; 43 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 18 grams monounsaturated fat; 9 grams polyunsaturated fat; 14 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 55 grams protein; 213 milligrams cholesterol; 874 milligrams sodium
8 servings (231 calories per serving)
- Place olive oil in the bottom of a dish 14 by 11 by 2 inches. Add mushrooms to oil and toss, making sure they are coated with oil; mound them in center of the dish. Place onions around inside edge of dish. Fit chicken breasts, meaty side up, in center of dish on top of mushrooms. Arrange the rest of the chicken around the breasts.
- Add brandy, vinegar, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaves and salt. Tuck garlic between chicken pieces. Pour broth and wine over all. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap. Cook at 100 percent for 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Prick plastic and uncover carefully. Remove chicken pieces to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid into the cornstarch. Whisk into liquid in dish. Add pepper. Cook, uncovered, at 100 percent power for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Stir well. Add chicken to sauce. Remove bay leaves. Serve immediately.