- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 3 egg whites, from Grade A large eggs
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted granulated sugar (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (50 servings)
46 calories; 2 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 4 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 0 grams protein; 7 milligrams cholesterol; 10 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the brown sugar and beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Add the egg whites and salt and beat just until slightly blended. Add the flour and blend on low speed until smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
- Drop by the teaspoonful on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving two inches between cookies. (Alternatively, squeeze onto cookie sheets with a pastry bag fitted with a large, plain tip – the easiest, quickest way.) Bake, one sheet at a time, for five to seven minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Bake in about five batches of 10 cookies each.
- With a spatula, remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- If desired, make a caramel by slowly cooking the sugar – covered until dissolved – to a golden brown. Remove the pan from heat and dip the outside of the pan in cold water to stop cooking. Dip half of each cookie into the syrup.