- 8 small flounder fillets, about 1 1/4 pounds
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons, approximately, of corn, peanut or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
471 calories; 15 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 52 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 28 grams protein; 133 milligrams cholesterol; 835 milligrams sodium
- Sprinkle flounder fillets on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Dip pieces in flour to coat on both sides. Shake off excess. Beat egg with the water. Dip flour-coated pieces in egg to coat well and then in bread crumbs. Pat fillets on both sides with the flat side of a knife to make the crumbs adhere.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add a few fillets in one layer. Cook 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on one side, or until golden brown. Turn and cook about 1 minute on the other side until golden brown.
- As the pieces are cooked, transfer them to a warm platter. Continue cooking, adding a little more oil as necessary, until fillets are cooked on both sides.
- Pour off oil from skillet and add butter. Cook until it is lightly browned. Add lemon juice and pour the sauce over the fish.