- 3 tablespoons butter, approximately
- 6 medium potatoes, sliced thin
- 6 shoulder lamb chops, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- 3 lambs’ kidneys sliced in 1/4-inch slices, trimmed
- ½ pound mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound medium onions, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put about a tablespoon of butter in a deep heavy casserole. Arrange a layer of potatoes on the bottom. Arrange three chops on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Layer with kidneys, mushrooms, onions and more potatoes. Add another layer of chops, and remaining kidneys and vegetables, finishing with a layer of overlapping potatoes.
- Add the water and bake for half an hour; turn heat down to 300 for an hour. Remove lid, and cook another 30 minutes uncovered so that the potatoes brown. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
1 hour 15 minutes