- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, in pieces, plus butter for greasing pan
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup honey, prefarably cherry blossom
- 2 tablespoons cherry liqueur
- 1 ½ cups pitted, halved fresh cherries, preferably Montmorency (see note)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- ½ cup chopped black walnuts or pecans
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
428 calories; 16 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 62 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 27 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 82 milligrams cholesterol; 117 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a loaf pan 8 by 4 by 2 inches.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl. Cut in the butter in a food processor, or use a fork, two knives or a pastry blender.
- Mix the eggs, orange juice, honey and cherry liqueur together and stir in. Fold in the cherries, orange peel and nuts.
- Spread batter into pan. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until nicely browned and cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing.
- If fresh cherries are not available, substitute Z cup dry pitted cherries soaked in 4 tablespoons warm cherry liqueur.