- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 large mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 3 whole chicken breasts, skinless, boned and cut in half
- All-purpose flour for dredging
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- ½ to ¾ cup chicken stock or bouillon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 1 ½ teaspoons beurre manie (made by rolling 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon flour in a ball)
- ½ cup cooked fresh peas
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely minced fresh dill or chives
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
402 calories; 33 grams fat; 17 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 5 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 133 milligrams cholesterol; 109 milligrams sodium
- In a small skillet, melt two tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté quickly until they are lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Dry the chicken breasts thoroughly on paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Dredge lightly in flour, shaking off the excess. Reserve.
- Melt the remaining butter in a 12-inch iron skillet, together with the oil, over high heat. Add the chicken breasts and sauté until nicely browned on both sides. Add about 1/4 cup stock, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, adding a little more stock if it has evaporated significantly, until the chicken is just done. The juices should run pale yellow.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet and set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup stock to the skillet, bring to a boil and reduce to a glaze. Add the cream and lemon juice and again bring to a boil, whisking, and reduce by a quarter. Add bits of beurre manie, and whisk until the sauce lightly coats the spoon. Taste and correct the seasoning.
- Return the chicken breasts to the skillet together with the mushrooms and peas and just heat through. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish, spoon the sauce over and garnish with the dill or chives. Serve at once with a crusty loaf of French bread.