- 1 loaf walnut-olive bread (see recipe)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds assorted fresh exotic mushrooms (chanterelle, shiitake, portobello, cremini, oyster or black trumpet)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 8 lemon wedges
- ¼ pound Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for shaving on top
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
147 calories; 12 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 4 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 7 grams protein; 14 milligrams cholesterol; 98 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the grill until it is quite hot.
- Cut the bread into 8 3/4-inch-thick slices. Lightly brush each slice with olive oil. Wash and trim the mushrooms. Thread the mushrooms on skewers by size (large ones together on one skewer, small ones on another). Brush the mushrooms with oil, and sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, grill the mushrooms over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until cooked. Grill the bread slices for 30 seconds per side, or until toasted. Put the bread on warm plates, and top each slice with with mushrooms. Garnish with parsley sprigs, lemon wedges and thin shavings of cheese.