- 1 ½ pounds red onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound bay or calico scallops
- 1 clove garlic, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic in oil
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (3 servings)
255 calories; 5 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 29 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 12 grams sugars; 20 grams protein; 36 milligrams cholesterol; 603 milligrams sodium
- Peel and slice onions very thin.
- Saute onions in nonstick pan in hot oil over medium-high heat until they soften, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add water and sugar. Cover and cook over low heat until water evaporates, about 12 to 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with lemon juice and pepper.
- Wash and drain scallops. Add scallops and garlic to onions and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, depending on size of scallops.
- Stir in vermouth; raise heat and cook quickly for 30 seconds.