- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut in small pieces, plus enough to grease the pans
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ¾ cups sour milk or buttermilk, approximately
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
428 calories; 12 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 68 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 12 grams protein; 58 milligrams cholesterol; 436 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor or large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add butter or margarine and mix until texture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg and enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Knead or process until smooth.
- Divide into two loaves. Place each in a greased 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden.