- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
342 calories; 22 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 12 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 12 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 24 grams protein; 78 milligrams cholesterol; 122 milligrams sodium
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Add the onion and saute until soft and barely beginning to brown. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the turkey and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the meat is uniformly broken up and loses its color. Stir in the oregano and fennel.
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice. Break them up and add to the turkey. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring from time to time, for about 20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes.
- Before serving, reheat the sauce, adding a little of the reserved juice if the sauce is too thick. Sprinkle with parsley.