- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ pound diced onions
- 1 pound shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 stalks finely chopped celery
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orzo
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
308 calories; 12 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 40 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 11 grams sugars; 12 grams protein; 13 milligrams cholesterol; 421 milligrams sodium
- Heat oil in large skillet or Dutch oven, using 2 tablespoons oil in traditional pot and 1 tablespoon in pot with non-stick lining.
- Add onions, cabbage, thyme and celery and saute until onions begin to brown and cabbage has softened.
- Stir in puree, water and orzo and season to taste with salt, which is optional, and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until orzo is soft and most of liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve sprinkled with bits of goat cheese.