- ¾ pound carp bones and heads, washed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bottles Belgian beer
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ pound mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed and cut across into thin slices
- 4 shallots, peeled and cut across into thin slices (1/2 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, peeled and cut into fine julienne (3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ½ pounds carp fillets, cut across into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
808 calories; 52 grams fat; 26 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 21 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 51 grams protein; 334 milligrams cholesterol; 1057 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings (about 6 cups)
- Place fish bones and heads in a 2 1/2-quart souffle dish with a tight-fitting lid and pour beer over top. Cover with lid and cook in a 650- to 700-watt oven at 100 percent power for 15 minutes. Remove lid and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Strain broth through a fine sieve. Discard solids and reserve broth, there should be about 1 3/4 cups; add water if needed to make 1 3/4 cups.
- In same souffle dish, place 1 tablespoon butter and cook, uncovered, at 100 percent power for 1 minute. Remove from oven and stir in mushrooms, shallots, celery, and parsley. Cover with lid and cook at 100 percent power for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Stir in fish and add reserved broth. Cover with lid and cook at 100 percent power for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover. With a slotted spoon remove all solids to a bowl and reserve the cooking liquid in the dish. In a medium-size bowl whisk together cream and egg yolks. Gradually whisk in about 1 cup of cooking liquid. Whisk mixture back into souffle dish. Cover with lid and cook at 100 percent power for 5 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Whisk in remaining butter until melted and season with salt and pepper. Return fish and vegetables to souffle dish and serve.