- Peel from 4 blood oranges, in quarters, with strings removed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 4 ½ cups cold water
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- ½ cup raw (turbinado) sugar
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
299 calories; 0 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 75 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 71 grams sugars; 1 gram protein; 11 milligrams sodium
3 cups glazed rind
- Place orange rind and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a 2 1/2-quart souffle dish. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap and cook at 100 percent power in a 650- to 700-watt oven for 5 minutes. Prick plastic to release steam.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Strain orange peel, discard liquid and return peel to souffle dish with 1 cup cold water. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap and cook at 100 percent power for 5 minutes. Repeat this process twice, using half the remaining cold water each time.
- Return drained orange peel to souffle dish and stir in granulated sugar. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap and cook at 100 percent power for 8 minutes, stirring once. Prick plastic to release steam.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Place a wire rack over a piece of parchment or wax paper. Put orange slices on the rack so that they do not touch one another. Allow to stand for about 1 hour to dry out slightly.
- Toss orange peel in the raw sugar in a shallow bowl to coat evenly. Return peel to the wire rack to dry out completely, for about 2 hours. Store in an airtight box.