- 8 cups basic chicken soup
- 1 carrot, peeled and minced
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 stalk celery, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
378 calories; 23 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 12 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 27 grams protein; 112 milligrams cholesterol; 494 milligrams sodium
Eight to 10 servings
- Place the chicken soup in a wide pot over low heat. Add the carrot, onion, celery and garlic and simmer over very low heat for 40 minutes. Add the shredded chicken.
- Meanwhile, place the ground beef in a bowl. Season with a half teaspoon of salt, a half teaspoon of black pepper and one tablespoon of the minced parsley. Form the meat into balls that are about one inch in diameter. Using a spoon, gently slide the meatballs into the broth. Do not raise heat or stir, but use a spoon to gently turn each meatball, so that they cook evenly.
- Place the ricotta and the egg in a bowl. Season it with one teaspoon of salt, a half-teaspoon of black pepper and one tablespoon of the minced parsley, then stir well to combine. After the meatballs have cooked for 20 minutes, use a teaspoon to form ricotta dumplings and carefully slide them into the broth. Do not raise the heat or touch the dumplings until they are set, about seven minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning of the soup with additional salt and pepper. Carefully ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnishing each with the remaining minced parsley, and serve.
1 hour 15 minutes