For the vegetables:
- ⅓ cup virgin olive oil
- 1 small unpeeled eggplant (8 ounces), preferably the small, thin Japanese variety, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch chunks (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 red onion (6 ounces), peeled and chopped coarse (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 10 scallions, dark green and damaged outer leaves removed and discarded, remainder cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 sweet red pepper (7 ounces), seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 piece cauliflower (8 to 10 ounces), divided into florets (about 2 cups)
- 1 zucchini (7 ounces), washed, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the pasta:
- 3 to 4 quarts water
- 1 pound gnocchetti (or another small pasta like elbow, bow-tie, penne, ziti or rigati)
- ¼ cup imported Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish if desired
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
220 calories; 18 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 12 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 12 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 3 milligrams cholesterol; 497 milligrams sodium
- To prepare the vegetables, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. When hot, add the eggplant and cook it over medium to high heat for about 5 minutes, until it is brown on all sides. (It will absorb most of the oil.)
- Add the red onion, scallions, red pepper and cauliflower to the skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes more, covered. Add the salt and pepper, toss until well mixed and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta: bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on the size and type of pasta you are using and how you like it cooked.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Put this water in a large serving bowl and mix it with the cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the pasta and toss it with the cheese mixture.
- Stir in the reserved vegetables and serve immediately with extra Parmesan cheese, if desired.