- 2 ounces butter
- 16 slices sandwich bread
- About 2 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, or to taste
- 8 slices lean ham
- 8 slices Gruyere cheese
- 2 ounces finely grated Gruyere
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
399 calories; 21 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 29 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 69 milligrams cholesterol; 917 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the broiler.
- Butter 8 slices of the bread and arrange them on a baking sheet, buttered side down. Smear the top side with Dijon to taste and top with the ham, the sliced cheese and the remaining bread. Butter the top of each sandwich.
- Place under the broiler, about 2 to 3 inches from the flame. Broil for about 3 minutes or until top slice is golden brown. Turn the sandwiches over and broil for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle each with the grated Gruyere and broil for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- You can make a croque- madame by substituting sliced turkey for the ham and placing a fried egg on top of each sandwich.