- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 large green pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ pound boneless smoked ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups fresh or canned chicken broth
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 12 green olives stuffed with pimentos
- 1 9-ounce package frozen green peas
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 6 1/2-ounce can fancy pimentos, cut into 8 long strips
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove the pieces to a baking dish and set aside, keeping them warm.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and ham to the skillet. Saute until vegetables are wilted. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato cubes, saffron, bay leaf and broth. Bring to a boil while scraping the bottom to loosen any sticking particles. Add the rice, capers, olives and chicken. Stir, cover tightly and put in the oven. Bake 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and the cheese. Arrange the strips of pimento on top and bake 5 minutes more. Remove and discard the bay leaf and serve sprinkled with coriander.