For the pig sauce:
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
For the meat:
- 1 slab, 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, pork spareribs
For the bluegrass bourbon sauce:
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons marmalade or other fruit preserves
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1040 calories; 73 grams fat; 23 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 26 grams monounsaturated fat; 12 grams polyunsaturated fat; 30 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 21 grams sugars; 49 grams protein; 249 milligrams cholesterol; 3913 milligrams sodium
- To prepare the pig sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium-size bowl. Marinate ribs for 2 hours in a shallow glass, ceramic or stainless-steel pan. Remove ribs from sauce and let drain.
- To prepare the bourbon sauce, mix together the barbecue sauce, marmalade and bourbon in a small bowl.
- Prepare grill (or ideally a smoker, at 170 degrees). Place spareribs on the rack. Cover and cook 3 to 3 1/2 hours, until tender. Smother with bluegrass bourbon sauce and serve.
5 hours 30 minutes