For the ribs:
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slabs pork spareribs (about 6 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
For the sauce:
- 2 large lemons
- 1 rib celery, chopped fine
- 1 medium-size green pepper, chopped fine
- ½ large onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup hot sauce, preferably Red Devil
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
1136 calories; 80 grams fat; 25 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 29 grams monounsaturated fat; 13 grams polyunsaturated fat; 46 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 41 grams sugars; 54 grams protein; 272 milligrams cholesterol; 1995 milligrams sodium
8 to 10 servings
- To prepare the ribs, mix salt and black pepper in a small bowl. Rub all over ribs; repeat with red pepper. Place ribs in a baking pan, add vinegar and let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roast ribs in oven 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, and transfer ribs from roasting pan to a cookie sheet, turning them in the process. Increase oven heat to 400 degrees. Return to oven for 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Squeeze the lemons and slice the rinds; set aside juice and rinds. In a blender puree the celery, green pepper and onion. In a saucepan over low heat, combine all ingredients, including lemon juice and rinds. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Do not let sauce boil. Serve ribs with sauce.