- Unsalted butter for greasing the pan, plus 2 tablespoons melted
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ¾ cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice water, approximately
- 1 ½ cups pecans
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon rum or more, to taste
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
730 calories; 36 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 8 grams polyunsaturated fat; 98 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 70 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 77 milligrams cholesterol; 94 milligrams sodium
- Grease a nine-inch pie pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, two teaspoons sugar, the cinnamon and allspice. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually sprinkle in the ice water while lightly kneading the dough by hand until it holds together. Gather into a ball, wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roll out the dough to one-eighth-inch thickness. Line the prepared pan, trimming the extra dough at the top. Spread the pecans and chocolate chips on the bottom.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, remaining sugar, eggs, corn syrup, vanilla extract, lemon zest and nutmeg. Pour into the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top begins to brown and the center is almost set. Remove, sprinkle with rum and cool. Serve at room temperature with some whipped cream, if desired.
2 hour 15 minutes