- 1 pound firm tofu
- ½ cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 8 scallions, trimmed and cut into three-inch lengths on a slant
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Oriental sesame oil
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
466 calories; 36 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 14 grams polyunsaturated fat; 15 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 2 milligrams cholesterol; 676 milligrams sodium
4 servings as part of a Chinese meal, 2 servings as a single dish
- Cut the tofu into pieces 1 inch by 1 inch by 3 inches. Place them on paper towels to drain for 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok or skillet and add the 1/2 cup peanut oil. When it is hot, deep-fry the tofu pieces on both sides until they are golden brown. Drain them well on paper towels.
- Discard the oil and reheat the wok or skillet. Add the 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and stir-fry the scallions and garlic for 30 seconds. Add the rice wine, hoisin sauce, soy sauces, sugar and stock. Bring to a boil, add the fried tofu and cook over high heat for 10 minutes, or until the tofu has absorbed most of the sauce.
- Add the sesame oil, gently stir, then serve.