- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 medium-size tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound baking potatoes, baked until tender and peeled
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- Spray of olive oil
- Red pepper coulis (see recipe)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
198 calories; 2 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 37 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 199 milligrams sodium
- In a large nonstick skillet, slowly saute celery, carrots, onion and tomato until they are tender. Partly cover the pan and, if the tomatoes are not sufficiently juicy, add a dash of water to keep from burning. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the peas, basil, cumin, turmeric and red pepper flakes. Stir and set aside to cool.
- In another bowl, mash the potatoes.
- In small bowl, whisk together egg whites and milk. Stir into mashed potatoes until smooth. Add remaining vegetable mixture and combine well. Form into 12 two-ounce patties. Put bread crumbs in shallow pan and lightly coat both sides of patties.
- Spray a large skillet with olive oil spray and saute the patties over medium heat until brown, about 5 minutes each side. Serve with red pepper coulis.