- 2 carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 parsnips, peeled and halved
- 1 large turnip, peeled
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large celery root, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon mace
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1 teaspoon Sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
222 calories; 5 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 36 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 10 grams sugars; 9 grams protein; 1 milligram cholesterol; 1263 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush the carrots, parsnips, turnip and sweet potato with the olive oil and place the vegetables on a large baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 30-45 minutes, turning frequently. Set aside to cool.
- Peel the sweet potato. Finely chop all of the roasted vegetables and transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add the celery root, mace, nutmeg, thyme, broth and Sherry vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Add the salt and pepper. Serve with the veal shanks.