- 1 head fennel, top removed, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup broccoli stems and flower- ettes, cut into small pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 ½ cup Arborio rice
- 4 to 5 cups hot chicken stock (pref- erably homemade)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
597 calories; 21 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 77 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 10 grams sugars; 17 grams protein; 42 milligrams cholesterol; 565 milligrams sodium
- Steam fennel and broccoli separately until tender. Place in a food processor with a fourth cup of steaming water. Puree and season to taste with salt and pepper, and then set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a heavy frying pan and saute the shallots until they are soft. Add rice and saute for one to two minutes, until the grains turn opaque. Add a half cup of hot chicken stock and stir frequently. When it has been absorbed by the rice, add another half cup.
- Add wine and cook until it is absorbed by the rice. Stirring frequently, continue adding more chicken stock, half a cup at a time, and cook for 15 or so minutes more. When rice is almost tender but still al dente, add pureed vegetables. Cook for a minute, then add the Parmesan cheese and the cream. Cook another minute, correct seasoning and serve.