- 2 whole chicken breasts, on the bone
- 2 cups wild mushroom ragout (see recipe)
- 3 teaspoons porcini or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 cup mushroom broth
- 4 thick slices of country bread
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
274 calories; 12 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 16 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 55 milligrams cholesterol; 795 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Use a sharp knife to split the chicken breasts in half along the breastbone. Carefully stuff 1/4 cup of the ragout under the skin of each breast. Place in a baking dish, rub each with 1/4 teaspoon of porcini oil, season with salt and pepper and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the sherry, scraping to incorporate any bits of meat or skin. Add the broth and the remaining ragout, reduce temperature to 300 and return for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the remaining oil on the bread, front and back, and toast on both sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and taste the juice. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper. Place the chicken breast on top of the toasted bread. Spoon on the mushrooms and juice and serve.