The pear salad:
- 3 medium Bosc, Devoe or D’Anjou pears, ripe but firm
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar
- ⅓ cup peanut or other neutral flavored vegetable oil
The celery root salad:
- 2 cups shredded celery root
- 1 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
230 calories; 10 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 32 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 17 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 2 milligrams cholesterol; 407 milligrams sodium
- To make the pear salad, peel and quarter the pears. Cut away the cores and cut each quarter into 3 slices. Toss in a bowl with salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar and oil. Refrigerate for 1 hour, tossing ingredients at least once more.
- To make the celery root salad, place the celery root in a bowl and mix in the mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This salad can be made ahead and refrigerated.
- To assemble the salad, place the lettuce in a bowl. Add a little of the vinaigrette from the pears and toss to coat the leaves. Divide the lettuce among 4 plates. Fan the pears in a circle around the lettuce. Place a small mound of the celery root salad in the center of each plate. Serve immediately