- 3 large, ripe but firm Comice pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 ½ teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark rum
- 4 cups dried whole wheat bread in 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 sprigs fresh mint for garnish
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
473 calories; 8 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 2 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 73 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 50 grams sugars; 13 grams protein; 163 milligrams cholesterol; 315 milligrams sodium
- Toss the pear slices with the lemon juice; then, place them in a saucepan with 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1 teaspoon each of the cinnamon and nutmeg, and the wine. Cook over medium heat until wine is reduced so it just coats the pears.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Scald the milk in a saucepan. Remove from the heat, and stir in the remaining sugar and the salt. Mix the eggs with the vanilla, rum and remaining cinnamon and nutmeg, and gradually whisk into the milk.
- Place the bread cubes in an 8-inch-square baking pan 2 inches deep. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and press down so it absorbs the liquid. Place the baking pan in another pan. Add boiling water to come halfway up the sides. Bake 20 minutes.
- Spread the pear mixture over the top, return to the oven and bake 20 minutes longer.
- Cool on a rack about 30 minutes, but serve warm. Garnish each serving with a sprig of mint and, if desired, serve with whipped cream.