- ¼ cup each red kidney, black and pinto beans, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, deribbed and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 rib celery, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes with puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
268 calories; 11 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 28 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 15 grams protein; 28 milligrams cholesterol; 981 milligrams sodium
- Place beans, water, bay leaf, 1/3 of jalapeno and 1/4 teaspoon of cumin in a large saucepan and bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer, cover and cook until beans are soft, about 2 hours. Drain well and discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper and saute 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and remaining jalapeno and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, oregano, remaining cumin, salt and pepper. Lower heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Cool. Assemble pie and bake as above. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake for 5 minutes longer. Top with cilantro before serving.
2 hours 45 minutes