- 1 tablespoon lard or butter
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (if fresh tomatoes are unsatisfactory, use imported canned whole tomatoes)
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- ½ lime, sliced
- Tortilla chips for garnish
- Chilis of choice for garnish
- ½ medium white onion for garnish
- 3 limes, chopped, for garnish
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
438 calories; 19 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 26 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 12 grams sugars; 37 grams protein; 90 milligrams cholesterol; 890 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings
- In a large saucepan melt lard or butter. Add onion, and cook until translucent. Do not brown. Add tomatoes, and cook over high flame for about 3 minutes. Stir in the green peppers and chicken broth. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add lime slices, and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Place some tortilla chips in each bowl; add equal parts of the shredded chicken. Pour hot soup over everything.
- Serve garnished with chopped onions, ground hot chilis and chopped lime.