For the ice cream:
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 yolks
- ½ cup honey
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 slices lemon peel
- 10 coriander seeds, crushed coarsely and tied in a cheesecloth
For the tart:
- 1 10- to 11-inch short-crust pastry shell, unbaked
- 2 pounds ripe figs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons framboise or kirsch
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
521 calories; 30 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 58 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 44 grams sugars; 6 grams protein; 139 milligrams cholesterol; 170 milligrams sodium
- Beat together the whole eggs and yolks. Meanwhile, heat the honey with the cream and milk with the vanilla, lemon peel and coriander. Remove from heat just before it reaches the boiling point.
- Pour the mixture in a thin stream into the eggs and mix thoroughly (if you are using a food processor, remove the bag of coriander seeds and lemon peel when you do this).
- Pour the mixture into a double boiler and place over very hot water on medium heat. (You can also use a thick saucepan placed on an iron trivet over low heat.) If you have removed the coriander bag, return it to the mixture. Cook until thickened to the consistency of custard.
- Remove from heat and cool, whisking occasionally. Remove the coriander bag and the lemon peel. Put the mixture in an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- When ready to bake the pie shell, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the figs and cut them in half. Arrange them skin side down with their pointed ends toward the center, in the tart shell. Sprinkle with the sugar and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. If the edges of the pie shell start to brown, cover them with foil. Cool the shell on a rack.
- Heat the jam in a small saucepan with the kirsch or framboise. Strain it over the figs. Serve with the ice cream on the side.