- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- 1 1-inch piece fresh frozen turmeric (see note)
- 1 1-inch piece frozen galangal (see note)
- 1 shallot
- 1 fresh frozen lemon leaf (see note)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Pulverize the lemongrass in a food processor. Add all the rest of the ingredients except the butter and process to a fine paste. Take a tiny taste to make sure that the mash is fine enough. It will taste terrible. If any fibrous pieces remain, process until they are gone. Add the butter and process just to combine.
- Remove paste from bowl and shape into a log about 1 inch in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze. This paste can be used to enliven chicken (see recipe below) veal or fish like tuna, swordfish or Chilean sea bass before broiling, grilling or baking. It will keep for about a month in the freezer.
- Turmeric, galangal and lemon leaf are available in Asian markets.
15 minutes, plus freezing