For the soup:
- 6 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups milk or light cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
For the crab meat salad:
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, ground
- 1 pound fresh lump crab meat, picked over for shells
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
688 calories; 54 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 34 grams monounsaturated fat; 6 grams polyunsaturated fat; 32 grams carbohydrates; 14 grams dietary fiber; 13 grams sugars; 25 grams protein; 92 milligrams cholesterol; 1536 milligrams sodium
- To make the soup, puree the avocados and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Place in a bowl and whisk in the buttermilk and milk or cream until desired consistency is reached. Depending on the avocado, more or less milk or cream may be needed. Add salt and pepper and chill.
- To make the crab meat salad, combine the lime juice, mustard and salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the capers and peppercorns. Add the crab meat and toss. Adjust the seasoning and chill.
- Ladle the soup into 6 bowls, add dollops of crab meat salad and garnish with cilantro leaves.
15 minutes, plus chill time