- 4 shallots (about 1/4 pound)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 12 ounces skinless,boneless chicken breasts
- 9 ounces whole assorted mushrooms or 8 ounces sliced assorted mushrooms
- 24 ounces whole broccoli or 14 ounces broccoli florettes (5 to 6 cups)
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- Fresh or frozen ginger to yield 2 tablespoons coarsely grated
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¾ cup no-salt-added chicken stock or broth
- 12 ounces Vietnamese rice noodles, Japanese udon noodles or fettuccine
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- A few sprigs cilantro to yield 3 tablespoons chopped
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (3 servings)
831 calories; 18 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 125 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams dietary fiber; 11 grams sugars; 43 grams protein; 74 milligrams cholesterol; 1395 milligrams sodium
- Bring water to boil in covered pot for the pasta.
- Chop the shallots and garlic in the food processor.
- Heat to very hot a nonstick pan large enough to hold all the ingredients,reduce heat to medium-high and pour in the oil.Saute the shallots and garlic until they begin to brown.
- Wash and dry the chicken,and slice into strips 1/4 inch wide. Add to the pan, and saute quickly on both sides to brown.
- Meanwhile, wash,trim and slice the whole mushrooms;wash and trim the stems from the broccoli.When the chicken is browned,push to the side, add the mushrooms and broccoli and reduce heat to medium.
- Remove the tough outer leaves from the lemongrass. Trim the bottoms,and thinly slice the bulbous parts. Grate the ginger; trim, seed and mince the chili. Add the lemongrass and ginger along with the chili, fish sauce, lime juice, curry powder and chicken stock to the chicken mixture, and cook, covered, over medium-low heat.
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Stir the coconut milk and sugar into the chicken.
- Wash and chop the cilantro. When the broccoli is cooked, remove from heat. When noodles are cooked, drain, and top with chicken-mixture; sprinkle with cilantro.