- 1 pound apricots
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 coriander seeds, crushed coarsely and tied in cheesecloth
- Wash and pit the apricots, chop them coarsely and simmer in three tablespoons of water until tender. Puree in a food processor and set aside.
- Beat together the eggs, yolks and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is pale and lemon colored. (This can easily be done in a food processor.)
- Meanwhile, heat the cream and milk with the vanilla and coriander seeds. Remove from heat just before mixture reaches the boiling point.
- Pour mixture in a thin stream into the eggs and mix thoroughly. Pour into a double boiler and put over very hot water on a medium flame. (You can also use a thick saucepan placed on an iron trivet over a low flame.) Cook until thickened to the consistency of custard.
- Remove from heat and cool, whisking occasionally. Remove coriander bag. Strain mixture into a bowl and add the apricot puree. Chill thoroughly, then place the mixture in an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions.