- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 cups no-salt-added chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon saffron or turmeric
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ pound seafood sausage
- 1 pound large scallops
- 4 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 pound shelled cooked shrimp, cut in half
- 1 ½ pounds yellow, orange, purple, red and green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 small bunches arugula, trimmed, washed and dried
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
687 calories; 21 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 78 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 16 grams sugars; 41 grams protein; 171 milligrams cholesterol; 1039 milligrams sodium
6 servings as a main dish
- Sauté onion in the 2 teaspoons hot oil in nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When onion softens, add curry.
- Add the rice, stock and saffron or turmeric, stirring well. Reduce heat, and simmer the rice, covered, for 17 minutes total, until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the wine; add the sausage, and cook about 10 minutes, until the sausage is firm to the touch; remove. Add the scallops and cook 2 or 3 minutes, depending on size. Slice the sausage 1/4 inch thick, removing casing if it is too thick to eat.
- Whisk together the 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, rosemary and parsley in a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients. Add the rice, shrimp, scallops, sausage and peppers and chill a couple of hours, or overnight. To serve, arrange the arugula on each of six plates and mound the salad on top of the arugula.