- 8 thin slices of beef, chicken, veal or pork, each about 3 inches wide and 5 or 6 inches long (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Greens from about 2 dozen scallions
- Preheat a grill or broiler till blazing hot.
- Place the meat between two layers of waxed paper or plastic wrap, and pound it gently so that it is about 1/8 inch thick. Unwrap, and brush one side of each piece of meat with a little soy, fish or teriyaki sauce.
- Cut scallions into lengths about the same width as the meat, and place a small bundle of them at one of the narrow ends of each slice. Roll the long way, securing the roll with a toothpick or two. Brush the exterior of the roll with a little more sauce.
- Grill until brown on all sides, a total of about 6 minutes for chicken, 4 to 5 minutes for pork or veal, 4 minutes or less for beef.