- Dough for 1 tart (see recipe)
- Flour for sprinkling over dough
- Oil for baking sheet
- 1 cup fromage blanc or creme fraiche, or 3/4 cup sour cream thinned with 1/3 cup milk
- ⅓ to ½ cup minced onions
- ⅓ to ½ cup minced bacon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
about 4 servings
- Preheat oven to at least 500 degrees (600 is better, if your oven goes that high). Knead dough lightly, and place it on a lightly floured surface; sprinkle it with a little more flour, and cover with plastic wrap or towel. Let it rest while oven heats.
- Pat or roll out dough as thinly as possible to diameter of 12 inches, using more flour or oil as necessary. The process will be easier if you allow dough to rest occasionally between rollings. If you have a pizza stone in your oven, place dough on a floured peel, or long-handled board; if you do not, lay dough on baking sheet brushed lightly with olive oil. Let dough rest for 15 to 30 minutes, or until it begins to puff ever so slightly.
- Spread fromage blanc or alternatives on dough. Sprinkle with onions, bacon, a little salt and plenty of pepper. Bake until nicely crisp, about 10 minutes; if tart is browning unevenly, rotate it back to front about halfway through cooking time. Serve hot.