- 8 ounces all-purpose flour (see note)
- 3 ounces almond flour (see note) from 3 ounces packaged slivered almonds
- 2 ¾ ounces confectioners’ sugar
- 10 ounces softened unsalted butter
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
914 calories; 68 grams fat; 36 grams saturated fat; 2 grams trans fat; 14 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 66 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 19 grams sugars; 11 grams protein; 152 milligrams cholesterol; 9 milligrams sodium
10 to 12 fragile cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixer fitted with a paddle, combine the two flours, confectioners’ sugar and 6 1/2 ounces butter. Mix on medium-low until a dough forms. Transfer to a baking sheet and roll out 1/8-inch thick. Shape of dough does not matter; smooth edges for even browning. Bake until barely golden brown at edges, 25 to 35 minutes; be careful not to overbake. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Using your fingers, crumble dough into fine crumbs and place in bowl of mixer fitted with a paddle. Add remaining 3 1/2 ounces butter and mix at medium speed. Mixture will gather into small pieces, and after a few minutes will change to a dough, pulling away from sides of bowl. Continue to mix until mixture becomes fluffy and creamy like whipped butter; this may take an additional 5 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Using a rubber spatula, transfer dough to sheet and spread in a thick oval. Cover with plastic wrap, and use a rolling pin to roll mixture to about 1/3-inch thick. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut circles from chilled dough. Transfer to baking sheet, spacing cookies at least 2 inches apart. (Scraps of dough may be re-rolled and chilled for additional cookies.) Bake until edges are golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to refrigerator; allow cookies to become well chilled.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, use a thin, flexible spatula to remove cookies from sheet. Chilled cookies may be placed atop a circle of raspberries or other berries. If desired, garnish plate with a scoop of ice cream.
- Since precision is necessary, all ingredients should be weighed. Almond flour may be purchased or prepared by pulverizing blanched almonds in a food processor. Avoid overprocessing the almonds into a paste.