- 1 ¼ pounds (about 15) baby red-skinned potatoes, washed
- Sea salt and freshly ground grains of paradise (see note) or black pepper
- ¼ peeled red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 smoked mackerel fillet, skin discarded
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, more to taste
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
702 calories; 63 grams fat; 13 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 28 grams monounsaturated fat; 18 grams polyunsaturated fat; 26 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 9 grams protein; 81 milligrams cholesterol; 64 milligrams sodium
- Place potatoes in a medium pan, cover with water and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. When cool enough, slice into 1/4-inch rounds.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, red onion and celery. By hand, shred mackerel into pieces no larger than a raspberry; there should be about 1 cup. Add to salad.
- Prepare mayonnaise: In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, mustard, vinegar and large pinches of salt and grains of paradise. Beginning a drop at a time, whisk in oil. As it emulsifies, add oil a little faster, in a slow, steady stream. When mixture is thick, whisk in heavy cream.
- Fold 1/3 cup mayonnaise into potato mixture. There should be just enough mayonnaise to coat ingredients; add more if necessary. Cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour. Adjust seasonings before serving, adding more salt or vinegar as needed.
- Grains of paradise are at Adriana’s Caravan in Grand Central Terminal, (212) 972-8804 ($6.50 for 2 ounces), and Kalustyan’s, 123 Lexington Avenue, at 28th Street, (212) 685-3451 ($3.49 an ounce).