- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup shortening, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise and center scraped with tip of a knife
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- Muscat-macerated fruit (see recipe)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
422 calories; 21 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 51 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 30 grams sugars; 6 grams protein; 123 milligrams cholesterol; 267 milligrams sodium
8 to 10 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, shortening and sugar until very fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk together eggs, vanilla extract and vanilla bean scrapings (reserve bean for fruit sauce). Gradually add egg mixture to butter mixture, beating well.
- Sift together flour and salt. Add half the flour mixture to batter, and beat to combine. Add remaining flour, gently folding it in with a spatula. Scrape batter into prepared pan, and smooth the top.
- Bake cake until a tester inserted into middle comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. If top of cake seems to be getting overly browned before center is set, cover with foil, and continue baking. Let cool on a rack before inverting.
- Serve slices of poundcake topped with macerated fruit.