- ¾ pound fresh shad roe
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup strained liquid from parboiling roe
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 egg whites
- 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp and drained (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
233 calories; 13 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 24 grams protein; 431 milligrams cholesterol; 399 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Gently parboil the roe in water to cover, with the bay leaf, lemon juice and salt, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid.
- Remove the roe’s outer membrane and veins.
- Saute the onion in the butter until transparent. Add the roe, break it gently with a fork and sprinkle with flour until well coated. Blend in the reserved liquid, cool for a few minutes and add the parsley. Stir in the yolks. Add salt and pepper.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir 1/4 of them into the roe mixture. Fold in the rest. Place in a buttered 1-quart souffle dish, sprinkle with paprika and bake in a pan of boiling water for 35 minutes. Serve bacon on the side or crumbled on top.
1 hour 10 minutes