- 2 pounds sweetbreads
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces fresh morels
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
- ½ cup blanched and peeled fava beans
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1191 calories; 87 grams fat; 33 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 33 grams monounsaturated fat; 12 grams polyunsaturated fat; 58 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 42 grams protein; 576 milligrams cholesterol; 595 milligrams sodium
- Soak sweetbreads for at least 8 hours (or overnight), changing water once or twice to remove blood. Put in a saucepan and cover with cold water, then place over medium-high heat to bring to a simmer. When moderately firm and opaque, remove from heat and transfer to ice water to stop cooking. Peel off as much membrane as possible, and remove any fat or gristle.
- Heat oven to 225 degrees. Place flour in a large mixing bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Dredge sweetbreads in mixture and set aside. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and melt butter. Add sweetbreads and sauté until golden brown and crispy on all sides. Remove from heat and transfer to a baking sheet; keep warm in oven.
- In a small saucepan, heat chicken stock until just simmering. Place a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, and add olive oil. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add morels and sauté until coated with oil, then add rice and sauté 1 more minute. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock and stir constantly until all liquid is absorbed. Repeat process using 1/2 cup of stock at a time, until rice is tender yet still firm; all stock may not be needed.
- Add Parmesan and fava beans to rice, and stir gently to mix. To serve, place equal portions of sweetbreads and risotto on four serving plates. Drizzle pumpkin seed oil over risotto and serve.