- 4 live lobsters, each about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons corn, peanut or vegetable oil
- Salt to taste if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup carrots, trimmed and scraped and cut into very small cubes
- ¾ cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups genuine imported Sauternes
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup wild rice plus regular rice, cooked according to package directions
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1341 calories; 74 grams fat; 44 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 21 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 42 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 9 grams sugars; 123 grams protein; 1116 milligrams cholesterol; 2967 milligrams sodium
- Plunge knife where tail and body meet, killing lobster. Break off claws, tear off tails and cut main body in half lengthwise. Remove and reserve coral and liver of each lobster. Crack claws on both sides. Cut main bodies into quarters.
- Heat oil in very large casserole and add lobster pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, about one minute. Cover closely and let cook about 8 minutes.
- Add butter, carrots and shallots and stir. Continue cooking, covered, about 5 minutes longer. As mixture cooks stir occasionally.
- Add wine and cover. Continue cooking about 2 minutes.
- Remove claw and tail pieces from casserole. Leave juices. When meaty lobster pieces are cool enough to handle, remove meat. Discard shells. Use remaining shells (head and feelers) to prepare sauce.
- We chopped reserved lobster shells, using a food processor. If you do this, be certain your processor has heavy-duty motor. If there is any doubt, chop carcass of the lobster as finely as possible and put pieces through a food mill. If you use food processor, put carcass into container and blend as thoroughly as possible.
- Scrape chopped, blended and crushed lobster back into casserole. Bring to boil and let simmer about 2 minutes. Add cream and stir. Bring to boil. Cover and cook 10 more minutes.
- Line mixing bowl with fine sieve and pour in lobster mixture. Press to extract as much liquid as possible. There should be about 3 cups.
- Put sauce into saucepan and bring to boil. Cook over high heat, stirring often with wire whisk or flat-bottom wooden spoon, 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced to exactly 2 cups.
- Put sauce into container of electric blender. Drain coral and liver and add. Blend as thoroughly as possible. Return to saucepan, add a little salt and pepper and heat gently.
- Spoon equal portions of sauce onto four serving dishes. Spoon equal amount of rice mixture into mound in center of each serving. Arrange equal portions of lobster meat around each mound of rice and serve.
1 hour 10 minutes