- 1 3- to 4-pound chicken cut up
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see above)
- Water or stock to cover
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
940 calories; 66 grams fat; 21 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 26 grams monounsaturated fat; 13 grams polyunsaturated fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 74 grams protein; 314 milligrams cholesterol; 281 milligrams sodium
- Dry the chicken pieces with paper towels. Heat the ghee or clarified butter in a heavy-bottomed casserole and fry the chicken until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Soften the onions and the garlic in the ghee or butter. Add the masala and cook, stirring, for two minutes, taking care to prevent burning.
- Add the stock or water, season with salt and pepper, and return the chicken to the casserole. Simmer gently until chicken is done, about 30 to 45 minutes.