For individual madeleines, follow the batter recipe below. To bake, brush a madeleine pan with melted butter, and fill the molds 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Invert on a wire rack to cool. When cool, dust with powdered sugar.
For the cake:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup sifted cake flour, plus more for dusting pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon dilution of 10 percent neroli (orange-flower) oil (see note)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons whole milk, hot
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (12 servings)
260 calories; 12 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 35 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 26 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 61 milligrams cholesterol; 14 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch cake pan. Place a round of parchment on the bottom, butter the parchment and dust the entire pan with flour, tapping out excess.
- Melt the 3/4 cup of butter in a small saucepan. Cool to lukewarm and skim the white solids off the top.
- In the bottom of a double boiler, bring 1 inch of water to a very low simmer. Set the top over it. Add the eggs and whisk until lukewarm. Whisk in the sugar. Remove from the heat and, using a hand mixer, beat until pale and creamy, incorporating as much air as possible, 3 to 5 minutes. When cool, gradually fold in the cake flour. Mix in the melted butter, vanilla and neroli oil. Transfer to the cake pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is golden, 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Using a knife, separate the edge of the cake from the pan. Turn the cake out onto a plate.
- When cool, prepare the glaze. Place the confectioners’ sugar in a bowl. Stir in the milk, vanilla and orange zest. Spread over the top of the cake.
- A dilution of 10 percent neroli (orange-flower) oil with 90 percent flavorless almond oil is available at Aphrodisia Herb Shoppe, 264 Bleecker Street, (212) 989-6440 (a 1/3-ounce bottle is about $18).
- A 10 percent neroli and 90 percent flavorless jojoba oil blend isavailable at www.wellingtonfragrance.com (a 1/2 -ounce bottle is $2.95, plus fees and shipping). One-half teaspoon orange-flower water may be substituted for the orange-flower oil, but it will lack the intensity and flavor of the oil.