- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced then coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions
- 12 oysters and their liquor
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
408 calories; 28 grams fat; 16 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 27 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 16 grams protein; 116 milligrams cholesterol; 290 milligrams sodium
6 to 8 appetizer servings
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and add lemon juice. Bring to a boil, add artichokes and cook until artichokes are tender when pierced with a knife through the bottom, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Scrape fleshy part of each leaf into a bowl, discarding leaves. Using a small spoon or knife, remove prickly choke at center of base, then cut base into large chunks, adding it to bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms and sauté just until mushrooms are tender and have released their liquid; do not allow pan to dry. Immediately transfer mushrooms and any liquid to a small bowl.
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat and add 8 tablespoons butter. When butter has melted, add flour and stir until mixture is lightly browned. Add scallions, oysters and their liquor, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until oysters are firm, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9- to 10-inch round shallow baking pan or pie plate, spread artichoke pieces. Top with oyster mixture and mushrooms. Spread with an even layer of bread crumbs. Dot with small pieces of remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot on small plates.
1 hour 45 minutes