- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 or 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups or more shelled peas, fresh or frozen
- 4 medium-sized mackerel, about 3/4 to 1 pound each, cleaned
- ½ cup white wine or water
- Crusty bread for serving
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
974 calories; 62 grams fat; 13 grams saturated fat; 26 grams monounsaturated fat; 14 grams polyunsaturated fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 78 grams protein; 277 milligrams cholesterol; 537 milligrams sodium
- Put oil in a broad skillet over medium heat; add onion, garlic and thyme. When onion turns golden, add tomato and some salt and pepper. Turn heat to high; when tomato breaks down, add 1/2 cup of water or white wine.
- When liquid returns to a boil, lower heat and add peas and mackerel. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until mackerel is done (a thin knife pierces thickest part of fish with little resistance).
- Put mackerel on a serving plate, covered with peas and sauce; serve with bread.