Serve this rich-tasting salsa with fish or chicken, or on its own with soft corn tortillas and a sprinkling of queso fresco or feta.
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced, soaked in cold water for five minutes, drained, rinsed and dried on paper towels
- 1 to 3 serrano or jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and finely diced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (more to taste)
- Salt, preferably kosher salt, to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
277 calories; 22 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 14 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 21 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 24 milligrams sodium
- Mix together all the ingredients. Let sit for 15 minutes, in or out of the refrigerator, before serving.
- Summer Variation: In the summer, when corn is in season, steam one ear of corn for four to five minutes. Remove the kernels, and toss with the above ingredients. Martha Rose Shulman can be reached at martha-rose-shulman.com.