- 6 ounces thick-cut slab bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces (see note)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 to 6 large eggs
- 3 cups (about 1 pound) frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- Coarse salt
- Ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley, for garnish
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
362 calories; 23 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 18 grams protein; 260 milligrams cholesterol; 682 milligrams sodium
4 to 6 servings
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté bacon until crispy-chewy, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels. Reduce heat to low and add onion to skillet. Sauté in bacon fat until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a deep skillet with 3 inches water and add vinegar. Place over medium heat and bring to a bare simmer. Break an egg into a 1/3-cup measuring cup and gently tip into water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Poach to taste, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate and trim neatly. Cover and keep warm.
- Add peas to skillet with onions and toss until warmed. Add tomato and bacon bits, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, transfer pea mixture to a warmed serving bowl. Make an indentation in peas for each egg, nestle in eggs and sprinkle with parsley. Instruct guests to scoop peas onto their plates and crown with an egg.
- For a smokier flavor, reduce the amount of bacon to 3 ounces and add 3 ounces diced chouriço.