- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 pickled peppers, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon pickled-pepper juice, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hero or ciabatta rolls, each about 8 to 10 inches long, split
- ½ pound sliced provolone
- 4 cooked Italian sausages, at room temperature
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
481 calories; 25 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 41 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 43 milligrams cholesterol; 1091 milligrams sodium
- In large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, mayonnaise, the 3 chopped pickled peppers, pepper juice, salt and pepper. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the broiler. Arrange the rolls, split side up, on a baking sheet. Line the inside of each roll with provolone. Arrange the sausages on the baking sheet next to the rolls. Put the sheet under the broiler. Cook until the cheese is bubbling and the sausages are warm, 1 to 2 minutes (make sure the rolls do not burn).
- Place a sausage inside each roll. Top generously with coleslaw and sprinkle with additional pickled peppers. Serve any additional coleslaw on the side.